Friday, January 29, 2010

Review of The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. Two films, one director, one amazing weekend.

Ah, it's good to be back. I've got two reviews for you guys today, both directed by Frank Darabont, both on my top ten list. Let's start of with the newest of the two, The Green Mile. The Green Mile is about Tom Hanks working on death row and Michael Clarke Duncan being a Jesus-type figure. Now, I know that may seem a bit odd, but it worked well and although at times the idea became a bit farfetched, became necessary for the good part of the plot to move forward. What is the good part of the plot, you ask? The parts with the inmates and seeing their characters develop as well as the authorities on duty amongst Tom Hanks. Sam Rockwell does a great job playing the most demented of the inmates, Wild Bill. Wild Bill made many inappropriate and stark comments that made even the most dismal moments relatively funny. And this films was surprisingly funny. I laughed more here than many recent self-proclaimed "comedies." This movie can be funny, sad, shocking, and sometimes a little weird, but part of what makes it so good is the amazing character development that is involved. By the end of the extensive three hour ten minute run time, I didn't feel like someone watching these events happen on a screen, rather a character myself, engrossed in what was going on inside the film. If a movie can make ME do that, then the filmmakers have hit their mark, at least in my book.

Next we have The Shawshank Redemption, the epic of Tim Robbins following his life convicted to a double life sentence in prison. Also starring Morgan Freeman, who narrates the story as well as plays a major role in it, is also sentenced to life in prison. They both do an absolutely fantastic job together on screen and have some of the best chemistry in a film I've ever seen. Not to say that the supporting cast didn't do great either. When there is a movie about prison, you have to have a great supporting cast to back up the leads, and it's definatley pulled off here. The story is great, coming from A Stephen King novel, as well as The Green Mile, but we can get to that in a minute. I've never read the source material but as a standalone experience, the screenwriters nailed it. There were no plot holes, the story proceeded at a steady pace, and it was interesting as well. Not once did I think,"How did that happen?" Very well done.

Unfortunaltley, friends, we've come to the end of my reviews. I'm sure you'll want to know the scores, but first, my final comments.
The Verdict:
Both The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are fantastic films that were both adapted by Stephen King novels, and both were directed by Frank Darabont, making it a perfect double feature. Acting is great, stories are both fantastic, directing is prestine, and the overall time spent watching these films, was very well spent for me. About five hours and thirty minutes total. It's a long haul, but one worth taking. I think it's safe to say that Frank Darabont is the "King" of adapted films.

The Shawshank Redemption- Five posters of women out of five. 5/5
The Green Mile- Five magical mice out of five. 5/5

1 comment:

  1. It is fantastic film of the year 1994. I watched it 3 times and equally enjoyed every time. I just want to say that you must watch this movie. I am sure you will like it very much.
    The Shawshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete

My Top Ten Favorite Films (as of 8/10/10)

  • #1- Fight Club
  • #2- Apocalypse Now
  • #3- Young Frankenstein
  • #4- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
  • #5- Unforgiven
  • #6-The Deer Hunter
  • #7- Taxi Driver
  • #8- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  • #9- Kill Bill Vol. 1 and Vol. 2
  • #10- The Big Lebowski